What can legally be done about a pest infestation ina rental?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can legally be done about a pest infestation ina rental?

My sister moved her entire family from OH to GA 2 days ago. This morning when they woke up the place was roach and waterbug infested. Insects were crawling on her grandchild; they were everywhere throughout the the entire apartment. The landlord says she signed the lease and she couldn’t get her money back. They have nowhere to go and no money. What are her rights? Can she get her rent and deposit refunded?

Asked on August 27, 2011 Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

All leases have what's known as the "implied warranty of habitability" applied to them, even if it's not writen anywhere in the lease. This warranty means that the premises must be fit for its intended purpose--such as residence. A pest infestation can result in the landlord breaching the warranty, since it's generally considered that a serious pest infestation makes a premises unfit for residence. A breach of this warranty can sometimes provide grounds to terminate a lease without penalty; it may also provide grounds for monetary compensation, or for a court order requiring the landlord to correct the situation. Much depends on the exact facts and how the tenant has communicated the problem to the landlord. Your sister should consult with an attorney to evaluate her rights, recourse, and options. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption