What can I write up my supervisor regarding taking my stuff from my desk while I was off work?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I write up my supervisor regarding taking my stuff from my desk while I was off work?

While I was out on workers compensation, my supervisor told me that he was moving me to another place in the department. He then went threw my desk and threw personal items out; other items he let co-workers take as if they were a free for all. I had items in my desk with my as number on them and that alarms me.

Asked on August 10, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can go to HR, which may or may not do anything: what your supervisor did is criminal and something you could sue over, but HR (and your employer) does not enforce the criminal laws or get you compensation for your losses. So they could choose to act if they want, but don't have to.
What you can do is:
1) File a police report and  look to press charges agains the supervisor (and also, if you want, coworkers who took your things) for theft.
2) Sue your supervisor (and also possibly the other coworkers involved) for the value of what they took.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption