What can I do without getting fired from my job?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do without getting fired from my job?

I work in a retail situation that deals mainly with men and I work with another woman who wears very revealing shirts that make me very unconfortable. My supervisor and the owner have done nothing to correct this stuation. What can I do?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, New York


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I doubt that there is much you can do about this.  Unless you have a contract, or an employee handbook that covers firing in a way that can be used against your employer as a contract (and this is rare), you are an employee at will, and your employer does not even need a reason to fire you.

Depending on all the facts, there is a small chance that this could be considered sexual harassment.  If you want to pursue this, you need to have a consultation with an attorney who specializes in these kinds of cases.  One place to look for a lawyer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption