What can I do with the tenant’s property if it is not removed by the agreed upon date?

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do with the tenant’s property if it is not removed by the agreed upon date?

I have issued a written eviction notice that has been witnessed and signed. There is a date agreed upon for her things to be removed. What action can be taken beyond the 30 days?

Asked on March 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the former tenant has not removed her belongings from the rental by the agreed date, I would send her one additional letter setting forth a date that the items will need to be picked up or they will be considered abandoned. If they are not picked up by that time, and if the belongings are worth less than $300, you can dispose of them any way you want.

If the items are worth more than $300, I would take them to an offsite storage facility and place a rental in the former tenant's name for storage of the items. I would then mail the former tenant the lease for the offsite storage advising her that if she does not pay the new landlord the monthly storage fee, he or she will then auction off the belongings to pay the rent. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption