What canI do when my ex-general manager gave me false information regarding my termination?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do when my ex-general manager gave me false information regarding my termination?

The general manager, laid me off and his excuse was “lack of work”. Nothing personal, the owner made the choice. He just had to do it. He told me I didn’t do anything wrong but he just had to let me go. I asked him why, me? I have been there much longer then the other employees. And he still told me it’s nothing personal. Then I came to find out that he hired 5 new employees after he laid me off.

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, in an "at will" employment relationship, an employer can hire or fire in its sole discretion as it sees fit; for any reason or no reason at all; with or without notice. So your termination appears to be lawful.  That is unless any of the following applies: there is a union agreement/employment contract that doesn't allow for the circumstances of your discharge; your dismissal violates existing company policy; or your termination stemmed from some form of actionable discrimination. Absent any of the foregoing, your former employer's actions were perfectly permissible. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption