What can I do when my employer refuses to pay me for 50 hours of work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do when my employer refuses to pay me for 50 hours of work?

I was being trained as a cashier in a Marathon gas station, I worked for 50 hours and the owner/manager will not pay me for the time. He was harassing and threatening to fire me everyday I worked. So I called him and told him that I quit. He told me at that time there was $267 missing from the drawer and that he was not now going to pay me. I was trained to close my last night with a trainer. I did not steal any money and there were cameras on us the whole time I worked there. Can you help me get paid?

Asked on April 13, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An employer cannot withold an employee's paycheck. Therefore, you can sue your employer in small claims court for any wages due you. Also, you can file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. That having been said, as for the missing money, if your employer chooses it can take you rto court to collect assuming that they can offer proof that you were the one who took the money.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption