What can I do if I’m being fired for a theft that I didn’t commit?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m being fired for a theft that I didn’t commit?

So I got a seasonal job during the summer during my time off college. I live in NC and I was a server at a restaurant. I usually work third shift, which is from 9 pm to 7 am. During this time no managers are around so the camera is utilized to capture events that are taking place within the work environment. I was scheduled to leave at 2 am that night. So I left at 2 am, and come to find out the next day I go to work, our cash drawer was short 20. This was followed by an investigation where they said they see me do suspicious stuff with a $20 bill. However they never let me see the footage, and they tell me that there isn’t footage of me actually sticking the 20 bill in my pocket. The other server I worked with had worked the previous night, and his/her drawer came up $40 short. It’s pretty obvious who was stealing.

Asked on July 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Most employment is "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes who to fire and why. In fact, an employer can terminate a worker for alleged theft, or for any reaso, or for no reason at all. This is true unless this treatment constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination or violates the terms of an employment contyract or union agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption