what can i do when boss isnt paying what is owed when i quit

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can i do when boss isnt paying what is owed when i quit

I worked 3 and a half years in that time my boss took tip money that was mine. he also didn’t pay overtime, stat holiday pay and holiday pay. what can I do to collect money he owes me

Asked on June 6, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Sue him for the money--for any unpaid hours, unpaid overtime when you worked more than 40 hours, and any tips he improperly took. (Note, however, that there is no legal right to holiday pay; an employer can decide to not have paid holidays and/or to not pay a premium or extra for holiday work.) You could also contact the department of labor, which enforces the wage and hour laws, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act or FLSA, and see if they can help--in fact, since their help is free, a good idea is to contact them first. If you are going to act, act NOW--you can generally only go back 2 years on a wage claim, so the longer you wait and the more time that passes, the less you will be able to recover (anything he failed to pay you more than 2 years before you file the lawsuit is something you cannot recover through legal action).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption