What can I do when a client is threatening me as an employee?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do when a client is threatening me as an employee?

I work for a catering company. We recently had an order that we did not show up for, as we accidentally canceled it due to similar last names on both

accounts. The client has demanded payment and we have paid it in cash rather than through their original payment method. I am being threatened on a personal level. The client says I will be screwed, as far as it goes for my regular job, which is outside of this catering business. I am being told that they will destroy me and, if necessary, send someone to hurt me. They have threatened my parents, as well as other people I know.

Asked on November 2, 2018 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You go to the police. Extortion is a crime. Harassment is a crime. Threatening violence is a crime. This is a criminal matter and you need to bring the police into it...do not treat it as a business matter, because once there are threats of illegal acts, it is no longer business.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption