What can I do to stop an order of arrest on me for a debt I don’t even know about?

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to stop an order of arrest on me for a debt I don’t even know about?

I got a subpoena to go to court for a debt hearing. I could not make the date and than a week later I just got a letter telling me if I do not give them all kinds of information they are going to issue an order of arrest on me. This debt is from 7 or 8 years ago from my previous marriage.

Asked on December 31, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Maine


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best thing that you can do since you failed to attend a court hearing where a bench warrant was issued for your arrest is to contact an attorney who handles debt collection work to represent you in the matter that you are writing about.

You need to ascertain what the judgment is against you where there presumably was an order of examination of yourself concerning your assets that you failed to attend. The next item on the agenda would be to clear the bench warrant concerning your failure to attend the order of examination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption