What can I do to receive what was left to me in a Will?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to receive what was left to me in a Will?

My grandfather left money for my uncle, 2 aunts, my sister and myself. My uncle kept the will from the rest of the family for about 3 years. He has finally, through his lawyer, sent the rest of us paperwork to sign. The paper work explained what each person would receive. My sister and myself signed it, agreeing to what was stated. But my two aunts refuse to sign it. Now his lawyer is sending us another letter, explaining that if my aunts don’t sign he would have to take more money out of what my grandfather left for us. My sister and I do not agree with this, what can we do?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You should take the paperwork that you have received from the attorney for the estate and go and pay for a consultation with an attorney in your area.  Did you receive a copy of the Will?  You should have and bring that as well.

What your Aunts are doing is "contesting" the Will, which means that they do not agree with the Will as it reads and think that maybe someone "unduly influenced" your Grandfather to leave them more money, property, etc.  The way that you are stating what the attorney said in the letter you received sounds a bit odd.  Did he or she state tat they amount you receive would be reduced because of the fees incurred in responding to the Will contest?  That would be true.  Seek help here. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption