What can I do to make my ex pay the lease-break fee he owes?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to make my ex pay the lease-break fee he owes?

In the divorce decree my ex was supposed to pay the lease-break fee for our apartment. He did not and it was charged off. I cannot move into an apartment while this is on my report. What should I do to get him to pay so I can move on with my life?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your marital dissolution agreement states that your former spouse was to pay the lease break fee but has not, you have the following options:

1. write him a letter asking that he send you the check payable to the former landlord so you can send it to him or her by a certain date;

2. if not done by the date requested, you can file a petition with the court for an order to show cause for contempt against your former spouse for violating a court order. The court could issue sanctions against him and even jail him for failing to do what was ordered. You should consult with a family law attorney about this suggestion regarding the petition.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption