What can be done if relatives took advantage of my elderly grandmother had her sign her house over to them?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can be done if relatives took advantage of my elderly grandmother had her sign her house over to them?

My 82 year-old grandmother lived with her sister and sister’s family for a year of her own free will, but requested to come back home. When she did she was very ill/needed alot of medical attention, when she was in FL instead of them taking to an interest they took her to a pediatrician who had taken her off all the medication she was on. She was in and out the hospital while she was there. Now she states that they spoke to her and had her sign papers to a home in FL which she is the first name on the deed of the house and not sure if her sister or sister’s daughter’s name is on the deed.

Asked on September 7, 2010 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

First you will need to make sure that your Grandmother is taken care of by applying to the court to be the person in charge of her and her estate.  That would be a proceeding to become a conservator or guardian.  Once this is done you can make sure theta she gets the medical attention that she deserves.  Then you can take charge of her estate (still called that even when a person is still alive) and if you have reason to believe that she was "unduly influenced" in signing over the house, challenge the transaction and have the deed set aside.  You will need help in doing so for legal counsel.  It is not an easy task.  You may also want to ask the attorney about creating a trust for your grandmother's benefit and moving the estate property in to the trust.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption