What can I do to have them my car repaired or pay me a certain amount?

UPDATED: May 29, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to have them my car repaired or pay me a certain amount?

I had a car accident on 04/20/2017 with a cab. It was his fault, he admitted it and we called the police he came and gave us the

Asked on May 29, 2017 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) No, there is no specific timeframe within which they must offer you compensation.
2) They do not need to offer you compensation at all--it is voluntary for them to offer to pay anything, unless and only if you sue the at-fault driver and/or the owner that vehicle (if it is not the same person as the at-fault driver) and/or the driver's employer if he was drivng for work, and win, getting a court judgment in your favor. Only with a court judgment are you legally entitled to compensation. 
3) Suing is therefore the way to force this matter forward, if the will not voluntarily pay or offer to pay within a reasonable time.
4) If you sue, sue the driver, his employer (the cab company), and the cab's owner, if it's not either the driver or cab company. The more people you sue, the greater the chance of getting compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption