What can I do to get my share of an estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get my share of an estate?

My parents have both passed and, as the youngest sibling, I was told by both

of them that I was to receive what they have. I have several witnesses to this. My brother is refusing to get in contact with me about copies of death certificates and a possible Will. I know from witnesses also that there was funds left for me but when I ask questions he won’t answer. What can I do?

Asked on July 5, 2018 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter what you were told if there was no will: only a properly executed (signed) and witnessed written will controls what happens to someone's assets after they die. Anything else, including statements heard by other people, is irrelevant. 
If there was no will, your parents' assets will pass by "intestate succession," or the rules for who gets what when there is no will. Typically, that means the children inherit in equal shares. As a child of theirs, you presumptively inherit--you would get a share if there is no will, and that gives you "standing" or a sufficient legal interest, to challenge what is being done with the estate and make sure you get your share. (Note: IF there is a will AND it specifically doesn't leave anything to you, you would not inherit--parents do *not* need to leave anything to a child. But since you would inherit unless that is the case, you have standing to challenge what is being done and see if there is a will and what its terms would be.)
If your brother has taken more than his share of the assets, either under a will (if there is one) or under the rules for intestate succession, he could be forced to repay those amounts.
You need to bring a legal action in court to challenge what is being done with the estate. This is a difficult action for any non-lawyer to bring--especially an agorophobic. Retain a probate attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption