What canI do to get my money back if I bought a used lemon?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do to get my money back if I bought a used lemon?

I bought a used jeep and it was taken to the dealers shop after 2 weeks because it was shaking like crazy. Got it back and in a couple of days they said they changed the plugs and it was running great. Not true, it was still just as bad as before. A week goes by, and its even worse and the check engine light went on. The dealer said to bring it down. After being in the shop for 3 weeks they informed me the motor was replaced. The did this without informing me and certainly did not have my permission. Is there anything I can do to get my money back. Do I have a fighting chance?

Asked on August 4, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you bought a used vehicle from a dealership where after the fact it had many problems with it necessitating many repairs and loss of use, I would simply have a meeting with the dealership's manager and ask that the purchase contract be rescinded in that you no longer want the vehicle because it is not in the condition represented to be in before the purchase.

If the dealership is reluctant to accomodate your request to cancel your purchase of the vehicle, I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of automotive law.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption