What can I do to get my car tags uf my ex wants to be off the title to my car?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get my car tags uf my ex wants to be off the title to my car?

I currently have a loan on my car. My ex and I are still married and currently separated; he is a co-signer on the loan. He went to the DMV and signed something stating he wanted to be off the title. So they will not issue me my tags. The place I went through to get my loan will not take him off until they get the divorce papers. I am filing but I will not have divorce papers anytime soon.

Asked on June 27, 2012 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You will need to refinance the car in your name alone.  If the finance company that currently has the loan won't do it, branch out and find another company.  This happens all the time.  If your tags are expired you can go to the DMV and request a temporary tag for a month or so while you sort this out.  Considering the circusmtances they should grant your request. 


If you need further help with this or any other matter please feel free to contact me.  If you live in the Ventura County area I would love to represent you during your divorce to ensure that you are protected and receive the spousal support you are entitled to.  Best of luck.


Cameron Norris, Esq.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption