What can I do to get back my deposit from a taxidermist?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get back my deposit from a taxidermist?

About 14 months ago I gave a taxidermist a deposit and the head of a deer for him to create a mount for me. I do have a receipt which does state that there is no completion date given and all work is done at the owner’s risk. Then 2 months ago I attempted to call him looking for a completion date. I’ve left numerous messages and he doesn’t return any of my calls. I would like to get my deposit back and the deer head and take it to another taxidermist but I don’t know what legally I can do.

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You would sue him on the contract or agreement (even if only an oral one) between you, that he would mount the head in exchange for a certain payment. If there was an offer by him to do this, agreement by you to the offer, and consideration--for example, the payment of a deposit--there is an enforceable agreement. You could therefore sue for compensation and/or to recover the head and deposit.

Where certain terms and conditions of the agreement are not set out explicitly--like a completion date--courts will try to determine the intention of the parties at the time they made the agreement. In doing this, courts may look to industry norms or standards--so, for example, to see if the work is overdue, a court may look at how long this would typically take the average taxidermist, or the usual completion date for projects of this type.

You may be able to sue in small claims court, where the filing fees are lower and you can act act your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption