What can I do several years after discovering dentist performed shoddy work?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do several years after discovering dentist performed shoddy work?

The dentist performed root canals that all failed and had to be retreated several times. I would like to sit down with a lawyer and have him look at my paperwork with me to help me file a complaint.

Asked on November 4, 2015 under Malpractice Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Depending on how much time has elapsed since the root canals failed and the work was redone several times, you may have missed the statute of limitations.  If the statute of limitations has tolled (expired), your claim / lawsuit) would be barred.
If the statute of limitations has not expired, your lawsuit can proceed.  
Dental malpractice is negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable dental practitioner in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
Obtain your dental bills, dental reports and if applicable, documentation of wage loss.   Your claim / lawsuit should include this information in order to determine damages (the amount of monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence). 
Compensation for the dental bills is straight reimbursement.  The dental reports will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the dental bills.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption