What can I if I was charged with a hit and run?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I if I was charged with a hit and run?

I was involved in a hit and run. I’m 17. I got charged with no insurance, hit and run, and no license. I fleed the scene but I returned to the scene after police contacted me buy phone. When I got their I didn’t get arrested but he gave a ticket and said I need to present myself to court. Should I speak with a criminal law attorney? I’m in Benton County, WA.

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Criminal Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, definitely speak with an attorney.

1) Leaving the scene of an accident is a crime--you could face criminal liabilty (e.g. jail time) for doing this, and an attorney can help you defend yourself.

2) You want to try to negotiate, bargain, etc. the ticket down to the lowest possible offense. It may not be possible to reduce it in a hit-and-run situation--but a lawyer will maximize your chance of doing so.

3) Driving without a license is an offense--again, you want a lawyer defending you.

4) You could be sued by the victim of the accident--and without insurance, you'd have to pay any judgment yourself. You may need a lawyer for this, too.

There are lawyers who specialize in car accidents; contact one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption