What can I do now if I was evicted and my personal items were were thrown out?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do now if I was evicted and my personal items were were thrown out?

I was recently evicted from my apartment after being there for a year. I was given 1 day to recover my belongings but still was not able to get everything. I told the person who was to lock up after I left, that I would return for the rest. I was told that I had 30 days for the rest of my property. Except it would be packed out by the staff and placed in storage. I called to make an appointment to pick it up when I was told they trashed it. I had things in there that were dear to me as well as worth money. Not a terrible amount but still worth enough to become really upset about. What can I do?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you were evicted from the unit that you were occupying and you moved out leaving some items behind with the clear understanding with the landlord that you would return within a set time period to retrieve the belongings, he or she should have allowed you to do so.

For the former landlord to have removed your personal effects and disposed of them in the trash receptable or some other place knowing that you were returning to get the items was legally wrong. From what you have written, you have the factual and legal basis for bringing a legal action against the former landlord for the destruction of your personal property in an amount equal to fair market value. You might wish to consult with a landlord tenant attorney further about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption