What can I do if the other person does not have insurance.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the other person does not have insurance.

After an insurance claim was made on the other persons insurance, I discovered
that her policy had been cancelled and was not active until about 30 minutes
after the accident. What can I do since she is the one that pulled out in front
of me?

Asked on August 19, 2016 under Accident Law, Nebraska


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the at-fault party did not have insurance and if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance policy, you can file an uninsured motorist claim with your insurance company.
If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage on your policy, your only recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.  Depending on the amount of property damage (cost of repairs), you may be able to file your lawsuit in small claims court.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit), in addition to the cost of repairs to your car, should include court costs such as the court filing fee and process server fee.  Court costs are recoverable upon prevailing in the case.  You can enforce a court judgment against the at-fault party with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption