What can I do if my workers’ compensation company will not pre-authorize treatment?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

You have two options:

  1. Choose another doctor who will treat you without requiring pre-authorization from the insurance company, OR 
  2. File a prospective Petition for Utilization Review Determination, which could take a few months to process. The Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Bureau selects a physician to review the proposed treatment after contacting the treating physician and discussing the proposed treatment with him/her. Your treating physician may have copies of these forms and may help you fill them out, or you can get them at your county’s Workers Compensation Judge’s offices. An attorney can also file this form for you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption