What can I do if my neighbor is preventing me from selling my house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my neighbor is preventing me from selling my house?

I have a problem with my neighbor. He
is purposely trying to prevent me from
selling my house. Every time someone
comes to the house they see his yard.
All you have to do is Google his name
and address and dozens of truly
disturbing websites come up. He has a
website where he has talks about how
any women who calls herself ‘ a strong
women’ should be rapped. On one of his
websites he poses a question, if your
going to abort your baby can I sleep
with it first. As a mother I just want
out of the neighborhood and away from
him but he has made his yard a giant
eye sore, only painting half of one
side of his roof white, has two
toilets, two broken rusty bicycles and
a dresser just to name a few of his
yard decoration. On top of the
horrible eye sore he has been seen on
numerous occasions naked in his yard. I
can’t get anyone who has witnessed his
nudity to press charges because they
just want to run as fast and as far as
they can. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on March 7, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have seen him nude, you can file a police report and press charges.
If he is violating any local building, zoning, or health ordinances in terms of his yard or home, you can complain to your municipality and they force him to clean it up (or least start issuing him tickets or summones; after being hauled into court and/or paying fines often enough, he may get the idea).
But if he is not violating the actual law, he may do anything with/to his property he likes, even if it impacts your home or the sale of your home--the law gives each property owner the right to do as he likes with his property, such only to the health or zoning, etc. laws and municipal ordinances.
And you can't do anything about his awful websites, etc.--that is his absolute right to post anything he likes, as long as it is not defamatory of another person, child pornography, cyberstalking/bullying material, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption