What can I do if my mother died and the hospital will not tell me anything and my uncle who had legal guardianship will now speak to me either.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my mother died and the hospital will not tell me anything and my uncle who had legal guardianship will now speak to me either.

I am in another state and have had limited contact with my mother over the last several years. I spoke to her about 6 months ago and she was making a will. Now I am being told I am on no paperwork and hospice can’t talk to me about anything and this uncle that I don’t know is handeling the details of her death amd also will not involve me. She has nothing of value, I just want to make sure her wishes are being respected and have some sort of closure.

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Estate Planning, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

We are sorry that you were estranged from your mother and family, and that her death occurred before you could right things, but this is not really a legal question.

If she had no assets there may not even have been a Will nor would it be necessary to appoint an administrator or personal representative or probate an estate.

If there was a Will, as a child you'd receive notice of the probate proceeding. Trying to get further involved after her death, when you were not involved before her death might just increase the estrangement.

One step would be to go to her funeral, if possible, and mourn and start the process of reconciliation with remaining family members. If that's not possible why not go to a clergy person and discuss the situation; many people are comforted by following the rules of their religion in such circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption