What can I do if my ex-wife was court ordered to pay the mortgage payments in the divorce papers and she isn’t?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-wife was court ordered to pay the mortgage payments in the divorce papers and she isn’t?

She was court ordered to make the house payments starting 10 months ago. She is not making them and the house is in foreclosure. She is also ordered to re-finance the house in her name. The loan currently is in my name only. We have been to foreclosure mediation already and they have requested all her financial info but I would like to know what my options are if she cannot get a loan?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Ohio


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hello and thanks for posting to our site. I am sorry to hear about your situation and will do my best to give you some options:

First off, anything in a divorce proceeding must be brought to issue in family court. The very first thing you need to do is make a motion to compel with the family court. This will bring you and your ex into court where the court will order her to make good on the terms of the agreement. If she fails then she can be at worst put in jail (usually a good deterrent).

Because this matter is already in foreclosure unfortunatley civil courts do not cease proceeding due to family court matters especially failue to comply with the terms of a divorce agreement. You may be best served by making the payment and then proceeding civilly against her to recoup the money spent, as right now it is damaging your credit.

Unfortunately there is no magic button in situations like this. But if you just stick it out and make sure the matter is brought before the family court hopefully she will comply once ordered to by the court.

Let us know if you need additional assistance and good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption