What can I do if I’ve been caught with a fake ID?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’ve been caught with a fake ID?

I got pulled over today, I am twenty years old, and I have a fake ID. While
looking through my wallet for my insurance card I passed my fake ID, the
officer immediately asked if that was another ID. Telling the truth, I said yes
and he took it from me. Now I have to go to court. What rights do I have? I
wasn’t even using it, it was just sitting in one of my wallet pockets

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have a general right to discovery, which would include a copy of the patrol video which should show that you did not actually present or use the ID--- but that you were only in possession of it.  It's not a perfect defense, but at least it shows that you weren't trying to deceive someone.
As far as court... since you are such young defendant, you have the potential of getting a better plea deal which would enable you to get an expunction later one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption