What can I do if I’m feeling harassed by a superior at work?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m feeling harassed by a superior at work?

I filed a complaint with our headquarters in regards to things occurring for the past year that was making me feel singled out and harassed. Since then, this same person has continued. I am getting to the point that I just want to quit but I have a family and cannot afford to do so. What can I do? I am not the first person he has done this to, in fact one other person has already left because of him. It was taken to our head boss as well but he and this particular person are very close friends so nothing gets done.

Asked on November 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The difficulty may be that most "harassment" at work is legal. The law does not require an employer to be fair or professional, or to treat employees well. A supervisor may treat an employee badly for any reason except for certain specifically illegal forms of discrimination: e.g. an employee may not be harassed or discriminated against for his or her race, religion, age over 40, sex, or disabilty. (That's under federal law; your state may add a few more categories, like nationla origin or sexual orientation.) Apart from that, however, if your supervisor doesn't like you or treats you badly, that is legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption