What can I do if I was wrongfully accused of theft?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I was wrongfully accused of theft?

My husband was wrongfully accused of theft at a local store. We were in the self check out and they’re machine was acting up, well we payed for our items and was walking towards the door when a LP stopped us and asked for us to come in a little room because we

Asked on May 10, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

 Get the records from the self-check-out machine--you should be able to subpoena them, since there is a case against you. Also get any security tapes of the check-out area for that time: that may show you at the self-check machine. (Get a lawyer to help you if you are not comfortabled doing this yourselves.) If the records show you paid, there is no theft. Similarly, if you paid by credit or debit card, your own bank or credit card statements should show payment, and payment equals no theft. And if you received a receipt from the machine, that should be strong evidence of no theft, too.
If you can't prove that you paid for these items, then speak to the prosecutor: explain that you thought you had paid, but evidently the payment did not go through; tell the prosecutor that since you were and are willing to pay, if the payment did not  go through, you are more than willing to pay now--that you were not stealing, but were the victime of a computer/machine/etc. glitch. It may be that in exchange for payment, they will be willing to drop the charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption