What canI do ifI pay child support but for the last month my ex won’t let me see the children because she is mad at me?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do ifI pay child support but for the last month my ex won’t let me see the children because she is mad at me?

I’ve been ordered to pay child support and I’m current on all payments. I try to see my kids as much as posible but usually it’s every other weekend. However, for the past 1 1/2 months when it’s my weekend she is coming up with excuses not to let me get my kids.

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Family Law, Louisiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Child support and child visitation are mutually exclusive. Your ex spouse cannot prevent you from seeing your children, even if you were behind on your support. You need to consider taking your spouse to court and filing a contempt order against your ex and see if you wish to have full custody. At this point, you may also begin to place all of your communications in writing to protect yourself and to begin setting up the precedent for your contempt motion.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption