What can I do if I made a statement for abusing my associate discount and now I regret it?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I made a statement for abusing my associate discount and now I regret it?

Will this affect me at all being in college and trying to get a new job or later in life? Could the retail job legally make me pay the amount for the items?

Asked on November 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you violated the terms of your associate discount, you could be required to repay any discounts or amounts to which you were not entitled. If the matter is handled informally (e.g. they ask you to repay; you do) or even by a civil (non-criminal) lawsuit (e.g. they sue you for the money), it should not affect college or later jobs, so long as (if you are sued) you do repay. (You don't want an unpaid, uncollected debt on your credit report.)
Only if criminal charges are brought against you, and especially if you are convicted (which would require showing not just that you made a mistake, but that you knew that you were abusing the discount) would there likely be an impact on college and/or later employment. If you do work out to repay matters, however, they are unlikely to bring criminal charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption