What should I do if I’m being sued for a car accident the happened 7 months ago?

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I’m being sued for a car accident the happened 7 months ago?

I rear-ended one car that rear-ended the guy in front of him. There were no injures but the guy who was hit indirectly is suing me for medical expenses and injures. What can and should I do?

Asked on December 21, 2011 under Personal Injury, New York


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should refer the matter to your auto insurance company.  Your auto insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you and will handle the case for you.  You are liable for the property damage and personal injury claims of the occupants of both the vehicle you hit and the car ahead of that vehicle  that was hit by the car you struck.  The reason you are liable for the car that was two cars ahead of you is that you started the chain of events when you rear-ended the car in front of you and that car was then pushed into the car ahead of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption