What can I do if I found out my husband has remarried?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I found out my husband has remarried?

I am married and we have 1 daughter together that is 11. We have not been together now for 5 years and he doesn’t pay child support. I found out that he got remarried almost 2 1/2 years ago and supports his other family. What I can do?

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Family Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your husband has remarried without having gotten a divorce from you then under the laws of all states in this country he has violated criminal stautes as to "bigamy" and his marriage to the orher person is invalid. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney about this issue as well as seeking a child support order from the court with respect to your eleven (11) year old child.

If you cannot afford a family law attorney, you might consider consulting with your county district attorney's office, child support division as to the child support issue and see if it will file a petition for such support for you and your daughter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption