What can I do if I did work with an LLC contractor but they won’t pay me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I did work with an LLC contractor but they won’t pay me?

I went to work with an LLC contractor and after doing the work he keeps telling me he will pay me tomorrow and never does and when I ask about it it’s the same thing. Now, it’s been a week since the work was done and still the same. What can I do? And how can I make sure this company doesn’t do this again?

Asked on April 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can take this company to court. However, you will need to offer proof of the amount of your claim. Hopefully, assuming that you prevail and are awarded your past due wages and interest, that will deter this company from stiffing others. Note: you say the company was a contractor but were you? In other words were you an employee of this company or just a contractor? If you were the former, then you can also file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. As part of the process, the state can impose monetray penalties against this company.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption