What can I do if my former employer refuses to send paperwork regarding my food stamps/

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my former employer refuses to send paperwork regarding my food stamps/

I am trying to get them to send a government document saying that I don’t work there anymore. However, they are refusing to send it correctly. Each time I call family services, they say it hasn’t been received. It has been 4 or 5 times already that I have had to call them to resend a section of the paperwork. Next month I will lose my child’s insurance and food stamps. I’m stressed out over this.

Asked on November 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything about this, other than document for the agency your attempts to get this documentation/paperwork: the law does not require your former employer to cooperate with you in documenting that you no longer work there. You will have to work with family services about alternate ways to show this satisfactorily, given the former employer's refusal to help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption