What can I do if my roommate took off?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my roommate took off?

I want to sue someone. He was my roommate in an apartment; we had a lease in both of our names which doesn’t ed for another 6 months. He just moved out of state without paying his half of the rent. I talked to the leasing office and they told me that that there is no roommate policy; we ere both going to be sued if they were not paid. That would harm our credit and I’d be kicked out of the apartment. I’m a foreign student here and I didn’t want any problems with the courts or immigration, so I had to pay the full rent and that kind of crashed my budget. He is an F1 student too.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue in small claims court.  I would recommend forgetting about the old roomate and just finding a new one to share the apartment with.  You are both liable on the lease, so you owe the full amount whether or not your old roomate is paying his half of the rent.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption