What can I do besides file a complaint with the FTC on a company that is still trying to collect money on a debt that is supposed to be paid?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do besides file a complaint with the FTC on a company that is still trying to collect money on a debt that is supposed to be paid?

Started with a debt consolidation company 5 years ago making regular payments until 9 monthds ago when one returned the payment saying the debt should be paid off. I call to get a letter stating that but they don’t own the debt any more. The people that do own it are now trying to tell me that I owe over 9k when the original debt was under 11k. Original debtor has been taking the payment and forwarding it down the line (was sold 3 times). Original debt when sold: $10,775.03; paid $205 x 55 mo.= $11,275; current balance: $9,492.34 as of letter dated 2 months ago.

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are having a problem with a third party debt collection company, possibly you should consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer debt law. From what you have written, there is the possibility that the third party debt collection company that you are now dealing with may be engaging in unfair debt collection practices under state and federal law by not giving you a proper accounting for the payments you have made on the obligation you are writing about.

Be prepared to send copies of all documents (cancelled checks, money orders and the like) to this third party debt collection company showing that you have made more payments than what you have been credited for.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption