What can I do to get the balance of money due me from the sale of my car?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to get the balance of money due me from the sale of my car?

I was selling my vehicle to a friend for $500. He paid me $300 and I signed over the title. We made a verbal agreement to pay the rest at $50 a week. I called after weeks to

collect but he keeps dodging me. It has been a month and I have not received any

payment or my car back. He got the title switched over already.

Asked on December 7, 2016 under Business Law, Indiana


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your friend for breach of contract / account stated. You can file your lawsuit in small claims court.
In addition to the amount you are owed for the sale of the car, you can recover court costs if you prevail in the case.  Court costs include the court filing fee and process server fee.
You can enforce a court judgment against your friend with a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption