What can I do about someone knowingly passing me an STD?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about someone knowingly passing me an STD?

I dated this guy, we had sex several times then someone else informed me that he has herpes. I asked him, and he claimed he forgot. He recently moved about an hour away, in another state. Before he moved, I got several really bad blisters on my genitals and made him aware that he gave it to me. All he could say was that he was sorry. He’s given it to 2 others that I know of. I want to do something about it.

Asked on September 17, 2019 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's possible that he did not "intentionally" give you an STD, but even so, if he had been previously diagnosed, he would have been "negligent" (unreasonably careless) or "grossly negligent" (exceptionally careless) to have sex sex with someone while knowing of an STD diagnosis without either engaging in safe sex and/or warning his partner, so they could decide if they were willing to take the risk. Since you can sue for injury (e.g. getting a lifetime disease; medical costs) due to negligence or gross negligence as well as due to an intentional act, you could sue him for compensation for this. The case is, however, much more legally and procedurally complex than the typical small claims case for a fender bender or unpaid bill and you would likely need an attorney to bring the case in an effective manner. If you want to explore the option of a lawsuit, consult with a personal injury attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption