What can I do about possible SS fraud?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about possible SS fraud?

Hi, I’d like to know what to do. My mother is
deceased, I’m currently living with my
stepmother, father, and their baby. My
stepmother has three children from a previous
marriage who are over every weekend. Since
my mother passed I’ve received social security
checks-which go to my father. I’m 17, I do not
have a job, and neither does my father or
stepmother, our only income is through the SS
checks. This money isn’t being spent on me or
my needs, in fact I often go without many
necessities we DO have electricity, water,
etc.. This money is being spent on steak,
cigarettes, and baby things. It is often withheld
from me, and was manipulated by my father to
buy drugs-he used his paycheck before his
two seperate arrests in November and
December for drugs, while spending
thousands of dollars of my social security
checks to feed the entire house, buy only
himself a new vehicle, and many other things
that do not pertain to me. Is this illegal, and
what can I do?

Asked on May 16, 2017 under Family Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your father and stepmother are committing fraud.
It would be advisable to contact your local Social Security office and report them. Using Google, ask for the telephone number and address of  Social Security.  The information for your area will pop up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption