What can I do about my previous employer giving false information?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about my previous employer giving false information?

Recently I quit my job providing
notice of my immediate resignation
and left on what I thought was good
terms. 3 months later I get an
email from my loan officer who is
currently working on my mortgage
that the company was contacted and
stated I was fired due to poor
performance. Now this hasn’t
directly derailed my mortgage yet
but as my loan officer stated it
doesn’t look good to the
underwriter. Can I take any action?

Asked on March 20, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you could sue them for defamation. Defamation is when someone makes an untrue factual claim or assertion about you to others, which untrue assertion damages your reputation or costs you money. So long as you were not terminated over poor performance, what the employer has stated would appear to be defamation. If you suffer any adverse consequences, speak with a personal injury attorney (the same kind of lawyer who handles car accident or slip-and-fall cases) about possibly bringing a defamation suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption