What can I do about my 9 year old son who is becoming increasingly abusive to his younger siblings??

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about my 9 year old son who is becoming increasingly abusive to his younger siblings??

He physically harms his 3 year old brother, on what has become a regular basis. I We have called the police, who only told me that he needed to be spanked. I called the abuse hotline and never got a reply. I have him in weekly therapy, plus he is medicated. I am beginning to fear for my 2 younger children. I can’t seem to get help from anyone.

Asked on January 26, 2014 under Family Law, Kentucky


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I seriously doubt that it is true that the police have instructed you to spank your son, as there are laws that discourage overly aggressive corporal punishment in most states. In Texas, if you leave a mark that lasts longer than a certain amount of time, you can be criminally prosecuted...so I don't think the cops here would go around telling people to spank their kids.

What I will tell you is that this is a question for an appropriate medical professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist, and possibly for a social worker. If part of the problem is that the older and younger child are not always in your custody (for instance because of a divorce), then in Texas that would be a reason to seek the intervention of a court. An attorney might be able to help you understand how to reach out to a social worker, and might be able to help you get a court order in certain circumstances, but an attorney can't and shouldn't give you advice that should come from an appropriate medical professional.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption