What can I do about finding out that my ex husband committed bigotry while we were still legally married?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about finding out that my ex husband committed bigotry while we were still legally married?

I just found out that my ex husband got remarried in 2013. We didn’t get a divorce until 2014. What can I do about that?

Asked on November 9, 2018 under Family Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything about it: it did not affect you in a legal sense (other than providing grounds for divorce, but if you are already divorced, that is irrelevant)--the first marriage to be entered into remains valid when someone commits bigamy, but the second "marriage" is not  a marriage, since in the U.S., you cannot marry person B while still married to person A. This second "wife" could annul their marriage as having not been valid from the beginning or on the basis he committed "fraud" in the marriage, but this is her issue, not yours. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption