what can i do about denied access to my land

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what can i do about denied access to my land

I have property that is next to my ex in-laws we have shared the driveway until the divorce then they put up a gate at the end of the drive way and refuse to allow me to use it. the top of the drive way is my property and they use it as well as have a water line on my property. what can I do at this point I am trying to sell the land but they tell all buyers that the bank owns my land not true and that I have no right to the driveway? if I cut a new road it will cut off access to there house and cut the water lines they have in place.

Asked on January 23, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) You can go to court to get an "easement," or court ordered perpetual (e.g. transfers to buyers) right to use their driveway to access your land. You will have to show there is no other real option, though: you can't get an easement just because its more convenient or less costly for you, but only because there is no other effective way to get to your land
2) You can deny them use of that part of the driveway on your property unless and until they will agree to let you use the part on their land; if you can work it out with them, go to a lawyer to have mutual easements (giving each home the right to access that part of the driveway on the other's land) drawn up and filed.
3) They have no right to tell others that your land is owned by the bank when it is not: that is defamation (stating untrue facts that damaged your reputation); and if they are scaring off buyers, that is is tortious interference with economic advantage (using illegal means, like defamation, to hurt you economically). You could sue them for these things: you may wish to let them know (or have a lawyer write a letter to them) that if they don't stop, you will sue).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption