What can I do about being wrongfully accused of stealing and being told to work off the books to pay back the moneyI didn’t take?

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about being wrongfully accused of stealing and being told to work off the books to pay back the moneyI didn’t take?

Asked on December 3, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you did not steal and otherwise believe you do not owe money for some valid reason, then you have the option of not doing the off-the-books work (or otherwise repaying). In thet event, the person who thinks you owe them money has the option of bringing a lawsuit against you, if (s)he thinks he can prove his/her case; and if he/she does, you can then either elect to settle (by paying) or else defend the case by presenting your evidence that you did not take the money, etc.

Note that if it's your employer who thinks you stole, if you  don't have an employment contract, (s)he can fire you if (s)he likes.

Note also that "off-the-books" work is NEVER legal--if you do work for someone, taxes must be paid on it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption