What can I do about another tenant that is causing major problems for me and my family?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about another tenant that is causing major problems for me and my family?

This tenant is smoking marijuana and it is coming thru my heater vents, brags about shooting pellets at the neighbors dog and I had the police questioning my 14 year old about it, they let their children run, jump, throw things and bang all day long. If my children or I walk they are banging with a broom. He got my phone number from the landlord without my permission. If their kids arent running, they are laying in bed for hours crying. Alot of this is disturbing the peaceful existence that I need as I work 2 jobs and dont have alot of time at home.

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about and assuming that the other tenant and you share the common landlord you need to have a face to face meeting with the landlord with respect to the issues you are having with respect to this neighbor particularly the marijuana.

If the landlord does not resolve the problem then perhaps giving the landlord notice that you are terminating the lease for violation of the covenant of quiet enjoyment is in order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption