What can I do about an old assistant manager that keeps giving me false reference and is keeping me from getting a job?

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an old assistant manager that keeps giving me false reference and is keeping me from getting a job?

I haven’t worked in over 5 years because of this reference.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If he is lying about you--making untrue factual statements about you to other people, like perspective employers--you could sue him for defamation; also possibly for tortious interference with  prospective economic advantage. In such law suits, you could get a court order directing him to stop doing this and/or monetary compensation. If, however, he is making truthful statements or only stating opinions (for example: "John/Jane Doe is a lousy worker and lazy, too"--that's an opinion) there is nothing you can do: people are entitled to state the truth and their personal opinions, even if harmful.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption