What can I do about an ex-spouses having a car that is under both our names repossed?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an ex-spouses having a car that is under both our names repossed?

My ex-spouse was awarded one of our vehicles that we bought together. Since the divorce she has not made payments on time. The bank has called me saying they are going to repossess the vehicle if the payments are not brought up to date. What can I do here? Is there anyway to stop this from tarnishing my credit anymore? If I pay for the car can I legally take back possession of it?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Family Law, Arizona


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem. Even if the court awarded your ex one of the cars, and this is the car that happens to be in both of your names, it doesn't mean that the lender of your motor vehicle loan would be happy to oblige. You need to have the ex refinance the car in the ex spouse's name only. If this is not possible, you do have a legal obligation to mitigate your damages, so you can simultaneously bring a motion in the court to amend the decree to allow you to take possession of the car and continue to make payments or order any payments or monies that would or will normally go to the ex spouse be deducted concerning these payments you now need to make.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption