What can I do about an extremely inflated 1099 reporting?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about an extremely inflated 1099 reporting?

I received aprox $3k for property management services and decided to quit working with the property owner because of questionable business practices. She has sent me a 1099 tax form showing income of $16k in retaliation for me assisting her tenant in fighting an eviction.

Asked on February 10, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


Brook Miscoski / Hurr Law Office PC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From federal taxation perspective (rather than any state laws), you should get together the bank records that show the payments from the owner to you. You could ask the owner to correct the 1099. You should also talk to a local attorney about contacting people who might be witnesses, sending a demand letter, and taking further legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption