What can I do about a manager that refused to give me my paycheck?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about a manager that refused to give me my paycheck?

I quit my previous job because the manager refused to give me my paycheck. He told me in front of another employee that I can come in during his day shift hours and then he will give it to me. He had it locked in his office. I had to get maintenance to open the door so I could receive it.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you quit you job, you can't do anything about having quit at this time--you would not, for example, be eligible for unemployment benefits, or for rehiring/re-employment (unless the company chooses to re-hire you). You would only be entitled to receive the withheld pay, if you did not receive it already. Depending on the circumstances, it may or may not have wrongful for the manager to tell you to come in during his shift for pay, but even if it were wrongful, it would not entitle to you quit your job and seek compensation for having quit, or entitle you to any money beyond pay withheld (the actual loss you suffered)--though again, if you have already received the pay, then you are not even entitled to any additional compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption